This pie is based on a 9 inch pie tin.
What you need:
- 2 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 3 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter - Cubed and Chilled
- 4 tbsp Cold Water
- 6-7 cored and thinly sliced Apples - we used Granny Smith
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 8 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- Plant based Milk - to do a milk wash
- 1 tsp Demerara Sugar - to sprinkle on top
Pie Crust Instructions:
- In a large bowl, combine the Flour, Sugar and Salt.
- Add in the butter and work it into your flour with your hands or a mixer.
- Gradually add in water and keep kneading the dough until it all comes together.
- Divide the dough into two balls, one for the base and one for the lattice, and place in the refrigerator for half and hour.
- With a saucepan on a medium heat, add the butter into the pan until melted.
- Mix in the flour and allow to simmer for a minute
- Whilst constantly stirring, add in the Water and Sugar and bring to a boil.
- Once it begins to bubble, minimize the heat back to a simmer for 3 minutes whilst still stirring.
- Take the sauce off the boil and leave on a cool hob.
- Take your peeled and cored Apples and place into a bowl.
- Season with Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Lemon and toss all together in a bowl.
- Add the sauce into the bowl and mix in with the seasoned Apples.
- Flour a clean surface and and roll out one half of your pastry crust into a circle.
- Transfer your pastry into your Pie tin and using a folk, prick some holes into the base crust.
- Pour in the Apple filling into your pie tin.
- Roll out the second half of your dough and cut into 10 even strips.
-Going one by one, lay the stripes on and weave them together.
-With any excess pasty, make some decorations to place on top.
-Bake for 40-50 minutes at 180C.
-Once golden brown, take out of the oven and serve.
Once cooled, refrigerate the pie to keep fresh.
Feel free to share your creations on your socials and tag us @erpinghamhouse and @erpinghamhousebtn.