Our Blueberry and Lemon Fairy Cakes with a Lemon Buttercream and a Blueberry Compote
Recipe by our Chef Imy Hare
Makes 12 fairy cakes or 6 muffins
You will need:
- 150g Brown Sugar
- 50g melted Flora Butter
- 170g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 70g Soya Milk (or any other dairy free alternative)
- 3 Lemons, zested/juiced (zest before you juice)
- 200g Blueberries (100g for the batter, 100g for the compote)
- 400g Icing Sugar
- 100g Flora Butter
- 1/2 Lemon, zested/juiced
1. Preheat that oven! Pop it on 180/ GM3
2. Set up your melted butter and sugar in a bowl and hand whisk together until combined. Sieve in the flour and baking powder. Mix it up!
3. Splash the milk into the batter and stir until smooth and glossy.
4. Chuck in the juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons, it’ll smell incredible!
5. Pour your blueberries onto a board and lightly press to release them juices! Stir into your lemony cake batter.
6. Divide mixture between 12 fairy cases or 6 muffin cases.
7. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes, test they’re done by poking the cakes with a toothpick, if it’s clean, get them out of the oven! If not bake for a further 5 minutes.
8. Whilst the muffins are doing their thing, fix up a cheeky blueberry compote for the middle of the muffins by adding the blueberries to a saucepan. Heat until smooshed.
9. Leave the muffins to cool on a rack, don’t eat just yet!
10. Begin making the buttercream. Whip up your butter using a hand/electric whisk and juice of 1/2 a lemon first until soft and then combine the icing sugar tbsp by tbsp. If you want that extra zing add some zest the the buttercream.
11. Once the muffins have had time to chill you want to core the middle of the muffins about 3cms down. Spill 1/2 a tsp of blueberry compote into the centre and place the cored part back. Wha-la!
12. Pipe the buttercream onto all the muffins in whatever nozzle you like! (I use a flower shape nozzle as I love the way it looks!)
13. Sit back, admire your creation, snap a photo and devour!
Sincerely, @imy_bakes. Xoxo
Feel free to share your creations on your socials and tag us @erpinghamhouse and @erpinghamhousebtn.