Let’s be honest, this year has been difficult for everyone. These overwhelming feelings of uncertainty and anxiety have affected a lot of people so we want to provide you with a simple breathing exercise which will help clear your mind when things start to get a little too much.
This exercise takes 5 minutes and you will want to find a quiet comforting place for you to do this in. If you are at work or out in public and you feel your anxiety taking over, you can do this exercise standing up or in your office chair. There are may ways you can use this technique in your everyday routine. It’s all about refocusing your mind to your body.
Here is a simple breathing exercise that everyone one can do when you need a moment to step back.
1. Lie down on the floor. Get in a comfortable position, place a cushion under your head or back if you need to or keep your knees bent with your feet on the floor.
2. Take a deep breath in, and out, closing your eyes. Feel your body press into the floor beneath you as you focus on your breathing.
3. Conduct a mental body scan. Start at your head and release any tension you find as you head all the way down to your toes. Feel your body get heavier.
4. Take as long as you need for this step, its all about taking in and accepting your body.
5. When you are ready, bring feeling back into your body. Wiggle your fingers and toes, move your arms and legs. Stretch your body as far as you can to waken yourself up.
6. Now turn yourself to the side into a fetal position before sitting up.
7. Take one more deep breath, open your eyes, and thank yourself for taking a little time to focus on you.
Make sure you share this technique with your friends and family, why not even do this exercise together at the end of a stressful day.
If you would like more mindful exercises, then why not give your Mindfulness Walk a try.